THE BBC were going into overdrive yesterday on the Prince Harry affair. Despite bigger news stories, BBC Radio 5 Live persisted with hour upon hour of coverage of Harry and the "paki" word. Nicky Campbell kicked things off at breakfast, then Victoria Deryshire at lunch, then 5 Live Drive, all linded up speaker after speaker jumping on the Muslim and/or the equality bandwagon to claim their pound of flesh from poor Harry.
As one of my researchers, Rory Allanson from London pointed out:
"I thought the BBC had a dedicated channel for Asians to express themsleves called BBC Asian Network. A dedicated channel paid for by you and me. No wonder many now have another name for the Corporation - "the Black Broadcasting Channel."
As I have frequently said on this blog, and will say so again and again, the BBC are so out of touch with the feelings of the British people. There was a classic example yesterday lunchtime when Royal Correspondent Nicholas Witchell, was trotted out to give the analysis on the whole sorry affair. He said that the public had divided into two camps over the issue. Those who were outraged at the remarks and wanted Harry to be disciplined and those who were outraged but believed Harry's apology should be accepted!
Witchell is right about one thing - that there are two camps, but wide of the mark in what each is thinking. There's the multi-racial brigade who are baying for blood and they make up around 10% of public opinion and then there's the traditional Brits who are amazed that there is so much fuss being made at this time about a silly remark made three years ago, which makes up the remaining 90%.
News from down the West Cumbrian coast at Barrow is that the BNP's Mike Ashburner has had his complaint against an opposition candidate for threatening and abusive behaviour at an election count rejected by the Standards Board. You can read the report here.
I got as far as this part of it before not bothering to read any further:
Now the council’s standards committee has looked into the matter and cleared Cllr Hamezeian.
In a statement, Ola Oduwole, corporate services director and monitoring officer for the council, said: “ . . . .
Once I saw the name of the monitoring officer I sort of guessed what the outcome would be.
There have been some squeals of anguish from our opponents after a distribution of the latest issue of Freedom in Newcastle. Hopefully they are upset because they can see that the newspaper is really going to appeal to voters in these difficult times and boost Ken Booth's vote in the city's Fenham by-election.
And here's a photo of our excellent candidate: